Saturday, December 10, 2016

What's in a Domain Name?

Nobody much reads this blog. At least, it doesn't seem that way. I mean, who's on Blogspot anymore anyway? Why don't I get a Tumblr?

My most successful post, for some reason, is a historical analysis of Ridley Scott's 1492, for whatever reason. Maybe I'm the only person who's ever done one so in-depth online. Maybe I should have kept doing that, with other historical dramas. Maybe one day I will?


This blog started in 2009 with the name "Dime a Dozen" and the domain name dimecomicsreviews.blogspot.com. This was because I started out reviewing Golden Age comics, and comparing them to their Modern Age equivalents. Golden Age comics cost a dime. Get it? Either way, I eventually realized I was only really interested in reviewing Golden Age Batman comics, so I moved all the reviews over to a new blog, called "Bat to the Beginning", at goldenagebat.blogspot.com. That blog is marginally more successful than this one. It hits about 100 views a post on average, versus about 30 for this one. I was even interviewed about it, in its heyday. For a multitude of reasons, it doesn't update frequently anymore.

I kept this blog around for "everything" else I wanted to write about, and it became a grab bag of a variety of content I wanted to write that wasn't 70 years old and Batman. I changed the name of the blog to Rowe Rowe Fighte the Power, a play on my last name being Rowe, and the song "Libera Me From Hell" from the anime Gurren Lagann, which includes the lyric. I also changed my screename to the same. But I didn't change the domain name, I guess because I was worried about dead links.

Nowadays, this blog has seen renewed activity because I'm reviewing Original Series Star Trek episodes on it. I have very little evidence anyone is reading them, but I felt a tinge of inauthenticity every time I shared a review and it had that dimecomics domain name -- because that's not really what this blog is, right?

So I've changed the name. Dead links be damned, it's not like anyone is probably linking to here much except me anyway. But it felt like the kind of change that needed to be addressed.

So the domain name matches the blog name now.

No comments:

Post a Comment